The SpringBoard program is a comprehensive program that helps prepare 6th through 12th grade students to succeed at college-level work and is offered exclusively to those teachers and students whose schools have subscription to the program. As part of the SpringBoard program you may access or obtain unique services, products, information, and ("Services") provided by the College Board (the "College Board", "we" or "us") available at springboard.collegeboard.org (the "Site"). The Site is maintained by collegeboard.org and is designed to provide access to information, goods, and services that facilitate the transition of our student users from middle school to high school to college and to facilitate communication between students and teachers who participate in the SpringBoard program. The College Board recognizes the importance of protecting the privacy rights of users of our Site. Any information shared between users and the College Board is securely managed and safeguarded in accordance with all applicable laws, policies and guidelines set forth below.
Changes to Privacy Statement
What information does the Site gather?
You must enter the personally identifiable information requested at the time of registration. If you choose not to provide certain information, you may not be able to access some areas of our Site; obtain or register for the Springboard services; or complete transactions initiated by you. In addition to the information that you provide during registration, if you are a student, schools and school districts participating in the SpringBoard program may provide us with directory information or other personally identifiable information from your education records to facilitate your registration and participation in the SpringBoard program. If so, the school or school district has assured us that it may disclose such information to us consistent with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. 1232g, and its implementing regulations ("FERPA") and other applicable law and policy.
Information gathered through traffic monitoring
Like many other websites, this Site is equipped with a program that monitors traffic by automatically recording every visitor's host, domain name, pages visited, length of user sessions, browser type and/or IP address. This program tracks the number of times the site is hit, how many visitors come to the site, which parts of the site they frequent, and the length of time of each visit. This information does not contain personally identifiable information and is used to evaluate areas of interest and to improve this Site and may be provided to third parties by College Board or its affiliates.
Information gathered through registration, login, and obtaining services
How we will use your information
Listed below are some of the ways in which your information may be used:
- to improve the College Board's and its affiliates' products and services;
- to customize the content and/or layout of our page for each individual user;
- to notify visitors about updates, products, services, and/or special offers from the College Board or its affiliates, colleges, scholarship programs, selected vendors, or suppliers;
- to assist our suppliers and selected vendors in targeting updates, new products, services, and/or special offers to you through College Board;
- to ask for your participation in brief surveys;
- to generate aggregate statistical studies and conduct and report research related to the college admission process;
- to complete any purchases or other transactions you may do on the Site, including providing your information to the relevant supplier or selected vendor so that it can complete your purchase or transaction;
- to identify, develop, and offer products and services that may help our student users in the transition from middle school to high school to college, to help make our student users' college experience more enjoyable and cost efficient, or to obtain such products and services from suppliers and selected vendors;
- to share with contractors who assist collegeboard.org with programming and technical aspects of hosting and website operation. All contractors subscribe to the College Board's confidentiality and privacy conditions;
- to give teachers participating in the SpringBoard program access to their students' personal information, including registration information; and
- to share with your teachers, school, or school district information relating to your participation in the SpringBoard program, including without limitation assessments and progress reports.
College Board Suppliers and Selected Vendors; Linked Sites
The College Board provides links, for the convenience of our users, to websites of organizations that are not related to the SpringBoard program or the College Board. If you click on a link that takes you to a website outside of this Site, we are not responsible for their privacy policies or information collection practices and uses. In addition, when you initiate a transaction with one of our suppliers or selected vendors through the Site, the information you and we submit to the supplier or selected vendor for the transaction becomes subject to the supplier's or selected vendor's privacy or information use policies. The College Board is not responsible for the privacy or information use policies of its suppliers and selected vendors.
What choices does the user have?
You will always have the ability to opt not to receive e-mail or other means of communication from the College Board. The College Board respects your privacy and realizes that not everyone likes to receive special offers or information. You will have the ability when registering on the Site to opt out of receiving e-mail or other communications. If you receive such e-mail or communications and would prefer not to in the future, you may remove your name from the College Board lists by replying to messages with the word "unsubscribe" as the subject line or by contacting us at email@example.com. Again, please remember, once we have provided information to our suppliers or selected vendors due to transactions initiated by you, we are not responsible for their use of the information, and you should consult their respective privacy and information use policies.
Security of your information
The importance of security for all personal information associated with our users is of utmost concern to us. You must have a secure browser - one that supports secure transmission of data across the Internet - to purchase items on this Site. For more information, use your browser's help feature.
We exercise great care in providing secure transmission of your information from your computer to our servers. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Once we receive your transmission, we use our best efforts to ensure its security on our systems. When credit card information is transmitted, we use industry standard, SSL (secure socket layer) encryption.
Your SpringBoard password is protected so that only you can access it and view information relevant to your account. We recommend that you do not divulge your password to anyone. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and any account information.
Last updated April 2009
Back to top